Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Italy:Been there, Done that

Sorry about not blogging - couldn't remember my password. Sigh. Anyway the 2 week sin Italy went pretty fast in a very hot, physically miserable sort of way. What I learned: when everything you read says don't go there in ... believe them and don't go! The general consensus of our group ages 20 -59 was the heat really took away from our ability to enjoy the experience. That said, Rome is great for the millenniums of history piled on and ongoing. Most major sights are within walking distance of the central area but using the subway and bus systems makes it way easier on your feet. If you want to see a major sight such as the Coliseum or St. Peter's Basilica try to do it as early as possible and schedule at least a half day. I 'did' the Coliseum in about 2 hours in the blazing afternoon heat (had to catch the train out of town that afternoon) and barely touched the surface. Florence is fab with all the churches, museums, art and leather, leather, leather. The tent markets are best for bags, many of the coat merchants also have stores that they'll happily drag you into. I was saved from the evil buying frenzy by 2 factors, one I'm only starting my little trip, and it's hard to get enthused about leather jackets/coats when you're sweating in 99 degree weather, and (3) my budget. Milan was a disappointment but has the world's 3rd largest Duomo (big church); we were able to climb up to the top. The architecture is just amazing. Venice was actually nicer than I'd anticipated. The heat let up a little and a good time was had by all in the brief 1 1/2 day stay. Mostly wandered looking, used the vaporetto to get around town (not hard but can be slow); targhetti (? spelling) small gondola type boats used just to cross canals. Yes, we (6 of us) threw in for the requisite gondola ride - very cool, gondolier a little strange. San Marco Square with the cathedral, doge's palace and other huge monuments is just amazing. Also took vaporetto to Murano to see the glass. Shop, after shop after shop of glass jewelry and ornaments. Spent entire afternoon there and didn't see a 10th; also it was a Sunday so the factories weren't open and giving demos. Ciao Italy!

On Monday had to leave - boy what a fun day. Vaporetto to Marco Polo Airport, plane to Rome then about a 3 hr layover, plane to Dubai. Holy Cow Batman! The airport is amazing, 24-7 activity and shopping with a hotel onsite. I had a 4.5 hour layover from 11:30 pm to 4:30 am. Then flight to New Delhi. A truly vile spot; airport is awful and the pollution unbelieveable; 3 miserable hours there and then escape to Kathmandu. And here I am.

On my own til Saturday when the Nepal/India tour starts. So far I've gotten lost and had to use a pedicab to get back to the hotel. Took awhile because he went in the wrong directions a little bonus tour for me. Then pretty much ripped me off over the price because I'm not real clear with the money yet. Today I'm mostly resting (2 naps so far) and trying to find acceptable places to eat (2 strikes on that so far). May hire a guide tomorrow. Don't know. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. SOUNDS SOOOOOO GREAT! We spent 2 weeks in Italy and LOVED it! One of the best places on Earth...would love to go back someday but there's so much more to see that's on my list!

    ReplyDelete